What documents do you need to sell your vehicle in Ontario?

The documents you need to sell your carPrepping your vehicle for sale is one of the most important steps in getting ready to sell your vehicle. There are a few important pieces of paperwork to have ready to sell your vehicle with and a few details you may want to check on first. There are three mandatory pieces of paperwork you’ll need for sale, and there are three other documents you’ll want as well.

Mandatory Documents

These documents are required to be provided by the seller (that’s you!) for the purchase to be complete.

Vehicle Registration (Ownership)
The most obvious one is make sure you have your Vehicle Registration (Ownership) form. This paper functions as your ownership and you’ll need to fill out the vehicle transfer section when selling it to a new buyer. This sheet is also important for preparing other paperwork.

You’ll also want your UVIP which is available at any Service Ontario location, this is a mandatory form for any vehicle sale in Ontario. It provides the driving history of the vehicle and will include an accident history as well. It doesn’t however provide any detailed information on the accident history.

Bill of Sale
The final mandatory piece of paperwork you’ll want is your bill of sale prepared. You can access the one we provide for our clients “here”. Just make sure you fill out all the fields provided.

Recommended Documents

These documents are not required to be provided by the seller for the purchase to complete. Although a valid E-Test and Safety Test are required by the government for the vehicle to change ownership there is no requirement to provide them to the buyer.

The Emissions Test is part of Ontario’s drive clean program. Every test is valid for two years. If you have one that’s already valid, you should provide it to the seller however they are able to get the vehicle tested on their own.

Safety Test
The Safety Test ensures that the vehicle meets the minimum safety standards of the province. This certificate is valid for thirty-six days from when it’s issued. Most private sellers will arrange to have this ready for their buyers, but again, not required.

A CarProof report will show a detailed accident history and will confirm the title of your vehicle and its history. This is relevant information you’ll want to have. It also confirms any outstanding lien information that you will want to know about your vehicle. This gives your buyers confidence in the vehicle they’re purchasing. It’s also really easy to share with your buyer or on different classified ad sites like Kijiji & Flipped which have CarProof integrations.
These are purchasable online for a relatively low price.

So the paperwork you’ll NEED to have is:

  • Registration
  • UVIP
  • Bill of Sale

We recommend having:

  • E-Test
  • Safety Standards Certificate
  • CarProof Report

Skip the majority of the paperwork and sell your car with Flipped.ca!

This can be a lot of work to get together, then you still have to find someone to buy your vehicle. Thankfully with Flipped.ca, we make it significantly easier to sell your car.